Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pet Ownership

4 posters

Go down

How many hours a day do you spend with your 4 legged companions

Pet Ownership Vote_lcap8%Pet Ownership Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
Pet Ownership Vote_lcap0%Pet Ownership Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Pet Ownership Vote_lcap25%Pet Ownership Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
Pet Ownership Vote_lcap50%Pet Ownership Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 12

Pet Ownership Empty Pet Ownership

Post  runarabbit Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:36 am

The above poll is how many hours a day do you spend with your 4 legged companion... I just can't seem to make it show up Smile

An interesting article on Pet ownership from veterinary economics in October:

Kids may push pets out of the veterinary practice
What happens when cats and dogs aren't the "babies" in the family anymore?
Oct 20, 2010
VETERINARY ECONOMICS

Describing Americans' relationship with their pets as "ambiguous, tenuous, and complex," David Blouin, an assistant sociology professor at Indiana University South Bend, says his recent study shows a tendency on the part of parents to spend less time with pets and visit the veterinarian less after the birth of children.

"If you have kids, you have less time to spend with your pets," Blouin says. "That's part of it, but not the whole story. People who think of their pets as their children often reevaluate this thought when they have human children of their own."

Blouin interviewed a mix of 28 rural and urban residents and surveyed more than 500 pet owners to discover some of the differences among pet owners in how they interact with their animals. He found that city dwellers and adults without children are more likely to consider their pets "babies" and more likely to take their pets to the veterinarian. Some pet owners in the study reported their feelings toward their pets changed when they had children of their own, and they stopped thinking of their cats and dogs as children.

The good news is, 81 percent of dog owners and 67.5 percent of cat owners surveyed—with or without children—spent two or more hours daily with their pets. Only 2 percent of pet owners didn't see their pets every day.
runarabbit
runarabbit

http://www.dream-a-dream.com

Back to top Go down

Pet Ownership Empty Re: Pet Ownership

Post  Robin Brueggeman Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 am

I am home most of the time with my pups and i love it !!!! And if you listen to my son the dogs have always come first lol!
Many years ago when i was in the hospital having my son i cried every day wondering what my poor pup was at home thinking LOL!!! So i guess its safe to say after kids i still loved my pups just as much lol!
Robin Brueggeman
Robin Brueggeman
Robin Brueggeman

Back to top Go down

Post  JamiLynnS Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:03 am

During the weekdays I'm home with them all day except when I go to school for two hours in the morning. Smile
JamiLynnS
JamiLynnS

http://www.imperialdachshunds.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  runarabbit Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 am

Mine varies by dog Smile the ones in training get at least an hour a day...the ones that travel with us, are with us all the time. The dogs on the show circuit get Friday, Sat, & Sunday all day Smile and pregnant nursing moms see me all the time Smile except when i travel. So i guess it just depends on which dog. They all have to share me and the stud dogs see more of the kennel techs for their walks, feedings and snacks etc... Puppies get 30 minutes 3X's a day from me and then the Tech's handle them the rest of the time. Everyone is on a schedule or I could never make it all work Smile

Would love to candy coat it, but want newbies to know that each additional pet takes that much time away from another pet. Unless, you have a staff or helpful family, it's hard to provide quality time. Even with a staff/family, sometimes things just don't get done for the day and is left on that to do list for tomorrow. There is no way to sugar coat owning a pack... IT"S WORK, and takes lots of TIME and dedication to be fair for each pack member. That includes me, I want my own time to spend on me.
runarabbit
runarabbit

http://www.dream-a-dream.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:41 pm

I never go anywhere but to work or the grocery. So, during the week, I am with them from 4 a.m. to 6 a.m and then 5 pm to whenever we go to bed. They all sleep with me so I guess that counts! lol. On weekends, I am with them through the entire time. They all live inside full time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:11 pm

I am a stay at home mom & grandma. So the only time I am not with my 4 leggers is if I have to travel out of town, which gets cancelled more times than I go. I go to the stores, pet store I take whoever has been on their best behavior gets to go, different dog each time and we go once a week!!
All my babies are inside at the moment so they all get equal time with me and have me except at night when most of them get crated!! Very Happy Very Happy
I spend about an hr on training off and on all day with the little ones and the show prospects!! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum