Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the average weight of your puppies around 2 weeks?

5 posters

Go down

What is the average weight of your puppies around 2 weeks? Empty What is the average weight of your puppies around 2 weeks?

Post  D&A Mini Doxies Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:44 am

Ok so one of my isabella boys is going to a small breeder in New York. She is worried about the weight he is since all her girls she will be usiing him for are all on the smaller side like 7-8 pounds. He weighed 7.8 oz at birth, and at 2 weeks he is 1 lb 5 oz. I thought this was pretty normal, but after I emailed her new pictures and the weight she emailed about how he was a little chunker and that she hopes its just all the milk hes getting to have since there are only two pups (in a nicer way of course LOL). So can some people tell me what some of their average weights are at around 2 weeks old and what their adult size was. I highly doubt these boys will be bigger than 10-11 pounds at most since both of their parents are tiny and around 9 pounds. When our boy is bred with our other female who is a tweenie the pups have still been around 10 pounds once they mature, but are bigger boned.

D&A Mini Doxies

http://daminidachshunds.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

What is the average weight of your puppies around 2 weeks? Empty Re: What is the average weight of your puppies around 2 weeks?

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:03 am

I can tell you exactly what my girls weights were. Tanga was 14 5/8 ounces (she's 7 months old and right around 6 pounds now), Junie was 17 3/4 ounces ( 1lb 1 3/4 ounce-she's around 7 pounds now), Kali was 20 1/8 ounces (1 lb 4 1/8 ounce) and she's very close to 11 pounds already, and Cricket was 20 3/4 ounces and she's also very close to 11 pounds already. I would say based on these that it's far too soon to worry about their puppy weight. Cricket and Kali were always the bigger girls, but the weight difference between Junie and Cricket at this age wasn't significant. And they were the same birth weight. By 3 weeks they had separated out quite a bit more though (21 7/8 for June, 29 1/8 for Cricket.

Proud Lake Dachshunds

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.com/

Back to top Go down

What is the average weight of your puppies around 2 weeks? Empty Re: What is the average weight of your puppies around 2 weeks?

Post  AlaskanLowrider Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:01 pm

With dachshunds it so hard to tell especially at this age as they all develop all at different rates. Here are some examples from my litter notes on past breedings:

Litter A ...... both parents were tweenies so I figured they would all be as well
pup1 - birth: 7.2 oz 2 weeks: 1# 1.8 oz 4weeks: 1 # 7.4 oz 6 weeks: 2# 4 oz 6 months 9 #'s Full grown: 13 #'s
pup2 - birth: 6.8 oz 2 weeks: 1# 0.8 oz 4weeks: 1 # 5.3 oz 6 weeks: 2# 6 oz 6 months 6 #'s Full grown: 11 #'s
pup3 - birth: 6.9 oz 2 weeks: 1# 2.8 oz 4weeks: 1 # 7.3 oz 6 weeks: 2# 1 oz 6 months 5.5 #'s Full grown: 9 #'s
pup4 - birth: 8.2 oz 2 weeks: 1# 4.6 oz 4weeks: 1 # 10 oz 6 weeks: 2# 6 oz 6 months 11 #'s Full grown: 15 #'s

Litter B..... Same dam with a true mini
pup1 - birth: 4.2 oz 2 weeks: 10 oz 4weeks: 1 # 2.1 oz 6 weeks: 2# 3 oz 6 months 9 #'s
pup2 - birth: 5.6 oz 2 weeks: 1# 2 oz 4weeks: 1 # 9.4 oz 6 weeks: 3# 1 oz 6 months 8 #'s

Many breeders do not guarantee size because every now and then a tweenie or standard will pop up out of 2 true mini parents. A local breeder I highly respect ran into this problem over and over again ..all her doxies were small (8 - 10 lbs) but would produce a tweenie every so often - she gave up on mini's and went to standards so she can count on what to expect more.

This Yorkie litter is really teaching me a lot...they don't have such a wide range of sizes in their breed so they all stay fairly small at 2 weeks the biggest one is 12.4 oz, the 2nd is 10.1 oz the smallest is 7.8 oz...I don't know their birth weights but was told they had lost 2 ounces ....at 3 days old (when they came here) they were 10.6 oz, 8.2 oz and 6.2 oz if they were dachshunds I would be really concerned they are not growing properly....I still am but a Yorkie forum I joined reassures me they are - "as long as they keep growing there is nothing to worry about" they are just so tiny still Laughing

AlaskanLowrider

Back to top Go down

Post  littletinydachz Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:19 pm

I have also found that puppies grow at different rates so i don't like to go by growth patterns alone,but I have the oposite problem with sizes..lol..(My larger parents seem to always produce small full grown adults(11 lb parents/8 lbs full grown puppies!)

Coco always has super chunky puppies and they are always bigger and fatter than my others,but they usually top off at 10 lbs..I just make sure new puppy parents are aware that there is a possibility that their pup could grow bigger than mini size..
littletinydachz
littletinydachz

http://little-tiny-dachshund.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Here is a good link to a "Puppy Weight Chart" that I like http://www.leetroy.com/weight.htm

Deb

Back to top Go down

Post  D&A Mini Doxies Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Coco always has super chunky puppies and they are always bigger and fatter than my others,but they usually top off at 10 lbs..I just make sure new puppy parents are aware that there is a possibility that their pup could grow bigger than mini size..

thats what has happened to us. I'm not real worried about. I definately don't think they will get bigger than 11 pounds at most, but the other breeder is worried about it since she has smaller females

D&A Mini Doxies

Back to top Go down

Post  littletinydachz Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:52 pm

I get alot of people that think they need a smaller male to breed to a smaller female.....(we're breeding Dachshunds here,not chihuahuas)
My studs have always been 10 or 11 lbs and I have had females as small as 7 lbs bred to them,whelped with no problems whatsoever!..It really depends on the dog,individually..if it will have cmplications or not(if that's what she's worried about)..I have had larger females have trouble before..bred to the same guys...
Sorry I don't know how I got into that..lol..

I would just explain to her that the parents are Minis and that's what you expect them to be...
littletinydachz
littletinydachz

http://little-tiny-dachshund.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelboys3 Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Hmmmm all my puppies are smaller than that Sad of course, there are 2 in Jazzys litter that still worry me a lot (they are ultra tiny) but the vet said to just watch them and let them grow.

I just weighed everyone tonight, so here are weights along with parent weights Very Happy

I still have Harley here and she's 13 weeks old, out of Ireland 9 lbs and gunner 11.5 lbs. She weighed 2 lbs 1.6oz. She weighed 7.2 oz at birth.
Lucy 8 lbs and Patrick 9.4 lbs. These pups are 6 weeks old and weighed 7-8 oz at birth
Snoopy 1 lb 15.1 oz, Charlie 2 lbs 6 oz, and Sally 1 lb 13.8 oz
Jazzy 9.5 lbs and Lowrider 13 lbs. These pups are 5 weeks old (8 days younger than lucy's babies). They weighed 3.2-5.1 oz at birth.
Logan 1 lb 6.4 oz, Liam 1 lb 9.2 oz, bubba 1 lb 2.4 oz and then here's where it goes downhill Sad
Janie 15 oz, and Josie (jj) 9.8 oz. She weighed 3.4 oz at birth.
Angelboys3
Angelboys3

http://www.3rdachshunds.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  D&A Mini Doxies Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 am

Angelboys3 wrote:Hmmmm all my puppies are smaller than that Sad of course, there are 2 in Jazzys litter that still worry me a lot (they are ultra tiny) but the vet said to just watch them and let them grow.

I just weighed everyone tonight, so here are weights along with parent weights Very Happy

I still have Harley here and she's 13 weeks old, out of Ireland 9 lbs and gunner 11.5 lbs. She weighed 2 lbs 1.6oz. She weighed 7.2 oz at birth.
Lucy 8 lbs and Patrick 9.4 lbs. These pups are 6 weeks old and weighed 7-8 oz at birth
Snoopy 1 lb 15.1 oz, Charlie 2 lbs 6 oz, and Sally 1 lb 13.8 oz
Jazzy 9.5 lbs and Lowrider 13 lbs. These pups are 5 weeks old (8 days younger than lucy's babies). They weighed 3.2-5.1 oz at birth.
Logan 1 lb 6.4 oz, Liam 1 lb 9.2 oz, bubba 1 lb 2.4 oz and then here's where it goes downhill Sad
Janie 15 oz, and Josie (jj) 9.8 oz. She weighed 3.4 oz at birth.

Wow Angie you've got some tiny babies! I hope they grow up nice and healthy and just end up being 'fun size' Smile

D&A Mini Doxies

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down