Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 Year old Doxie with serious Hernia - urgent advice needed

2 posters

Go down

12 Year old Doxie with serious Hernia - urgent advice needed Empty 12 Year old Doxie with serious Hernia - urgent advice needed

Post  wilkr Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:34 pm

I have an unusual problem, and i really need some advice.
Our family includes a 12-year old longhaired doxie. We live and work part of the year in Belize, in Central America, and of course Archie always comes with us. We are in Belize now.
Since he was a puppy he has had two small hernias - one umbilical, and one on his chest. Today the one on his chest has bulged way out - it is now about 5 cm in diameter and it sticks out about 3 cm from his body. It looks awful, and is bleeding.
There is no vet nearby. I need to know how much of an emergency this is, and how difficult the surgery. I can probably get a flight to Belize City tomorrow if I can find a vet with an open clinic. There may be a vet about a 2-hour drive away in Belmopan, though that would probably be a large-animal person. Or I could fly back to Indiana in the USA; that might take a couple of days to set up, not to say cost a lot of money. So...how much of an emergency are we facing here? Could we expect a local vet to do a good job? I will check back here as often as possible.

wilkr

Back to top Go down

12 Year old Doxie with serious Hernia - urgent advice needed Empty Re: 12 Year old Doxie with serious Hernia - urgent advice needed

Post  Admin Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 am

I am sooooo very sorry no replied to your post!!!
I surely hope that by now you found a solution to your situation and all is well!!
My apologies again for no response! Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

12 Year old Doxie with serious Hernia - urgent advice needed Empty Archie is OK

Post  wilkr Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I found a vet who could see him, and flew there. It was not a hernia, but an infected cyst. Took it out, put him on antibiotics, and he is fine.

wilkr

Back to top Go down

12 Year old Doxie with serious Hernia - urgent advice needed Empty Re: 12 Year old Doxie with serious Hernia - urgent advice needed

Post  Admin Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 pm

That is great and I am so relieved that he is ok!! I apologize again tho for the slow response....the forum just isn't as active as it once was but I am trying to bring it back to life again LOL!
Hugs to the little guy!! love
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down