Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firefly poisoning

Go down

Firefly poisoning Empty Firefly poisoning

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Just a quick note and maybe a warning that may prove useful. I met a friend in the park yesterday that has a really beautiful brindle boxer named Butch. Dedicated owner, dog is going through CD and doing exceptionally well. The owner watched him bite at, catch and swallow a lightning bug last week. The next morning the dog was completely covered in welts, and his head was double its size. He rushed the dog to the vet who kept him overnight on IV fluids and a whole bunch of anti-histimine drugs, including 10 days of Prednisone. the dog has had ongoing problems of the swelling in the mornings so this is not yet done with Butch. The vet did say that lightning bugs have a immune defense in their body that can cause this. The dog almost died from a stinkin' lightning bug. It may not affect all dogs the same way but I for one will be more vigilant with the little buggers.
Hope it helps!

From a golden retriever forum....anyway i had no idea these bugs were toxic..i found this out since i have a bearded dragon too and was told to watch out for these bugs.

Back to top Go down