Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccinate or no?

5 posters

Go down

Vaccinate or no? Empty Vaccinate or no?

Post  Admin Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:29 pm

This was brought to my attention just recently!
If you have a puppy and it is not feeling well or having digestive issues, would you vaccinate it anyways? If the puppy seems to be having some slight problems would you give it it's puppy vaccine or would you wait? Would you give a rabies shot to a 16 wk old pup if it seemed to be having a reaction to something else? Would you let your vet do this? Or would your vet suggest you wait?
Would love to hear what you all think about this or if any of you have had any similar experiences with this and would like to share!!!
Thank you in advance!!! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Vaccinate or no? Empty Re: Vaccinate or no?

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:35 pm

I was told never to vaccinate a puppy unless it's healthy. You don't want to stress their immune system if they are fighting anything else, whether it be an infection or some other kind of upset. I'd wait until the digestive upset was past before vaccinating a pup.

Proud Lake Dachshunds

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  runarabbit Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 pm

I was told never to vaccinate a puppy unless it's healthy. You don't want to stress their immune system if they are fighting anything else, whether it be an infection or some other kind of upset.

Ditto the above :)Here's a really good article found @ http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/04/29/vaccinating-sick-dogs-cats/ I think the first line says it all..
vaccine labels and inserts state that vaccines are for use in “healthy dogs only.”

A
ll vaccine labels and inserts state that vaccines are for use in “healthy dogs only.” Unfortunately, no one defines “healthy.”

Most knowledgeable vets agree that certain animals should NOT be vaccinated (absent proven, urgent need such as inevitable exposure to a life-threatening disease). These include, but aren’t limited to, pets with autoimmune disease … pets undergoing chemo, radiation or surgery (even dental cleaning or neutering) … pets with autoimmune disease, cancer, severe allergies and skin diseases … pets fighting an illness or parasites … pets stressed from shipment or a move to a new home … malnourished pets … and dying housebound pets. Assaulting the immune systems of these animals with vaccination has been likened to throwing gas on a raging fire.

Vaccination is big business and an old habit. Dogs and cats need an advocate with common sense (and a strong backbone) to stand up for their pets. That means you!

So why shouldn’t you vaccinate a sick, stressed or geriatric pet? For one thing, the pet may develop adverse reactions ranging from fever to seizures to autoimmune disease to anaphylactic shock and even death. (Click this link to see other possible adverse reactions.) Furthermore, shots administered to an unhealthy animal may fail to provide immunity while giving you the false security that your dog is protected. On top of that, the animal’s immune system, which should be fighting illness, may be diverted to handle the shot.

Vaccine manufacturer Pfizer states, regarding precautions when using their rabies vaccine: “A protective immune response may not be elicited if animals are incubating an infectious disease, are malnourished or parasitized, are stressed due to shipment or environmental conditions, are otherwise immunocompromised….”

According to the University of Nebraska’s “Understanding Vaccines”: “While it is common to vaccinate stressed animals, these animals are more susceptible to adverse vaccine reactions and frequently do not develop an adequate immune response. Immune stressed animals develop limited protection from vaccination.”

Drugs.com states, re the Rabies Vaccine Precautions: ”… level of performance may be affected by conditions of use such as stress, weather, nutrition, disease, parasitism, other treatments, individual idiosyncrasies or impaired immunological competency. These factors should be considered by the user when evaluating product performance or freedom from reactions.”

Even humans are at risk if a rabies shot fails and the animal becomes infected with rabies. So great is the danger of vaccinating sick and chronically-ill pets that many, if not most, state and local health authorities allow a temporary or permanent exemption from rabies vaccination for these pets. Click to learn how to apply for a rabies vaccination exemption.

I asked some veterinarian friends to share their opinions on this issue. (Note: bold blue type was done by me to emphasize important points.) Special thanks to over-vaccination activist Dr. Patricia Jordan for her help in rounding up responses and references.

From Tamara Hebbler, DVM, holistic consulting vet (San Diego):

The most disturbing, relatively routine, veterinary practice is vaccinating ill or compromised animals. I am appalled that this is still happening yet I hear from my clients that it is more the norm than the exception.

Vaccinating a stressed or ill dog violates our Hippocratic Oath: Above All Do No Harm. When an animal is going in for surgery or chemo, or has an autoimmune disease or neoplastic condition [a tumor], or even a chronic immune challenge such as allergies or endocrine/metabolic diseases, they are at a high increased risk to an adverse reaction to any vaccine. I liken such vaccination to playing Russian Roulette with an animal’s immune system — with 5 of the 6 barrels loaded, not just 1.

If negative reactions are severe enough, and immediate, most people will connect the reaction to the shot. However, if the reaction develops over a few weeks or months, you may not tie it to the shot – and your vet probably won’t either. In standard veterinary practice, we have brief appointments and are very busy, I regret to say, treating many of the dis-ease states that we as a profession, with the help of the pet food industry, have created. It is only through laborious record review that I made the connection.

Be bold and stand up for your pet especially when he or she is not feeling well. Just say NO to vaccinations and start researching and titer testing.

From Jean Hofve, DVM www.littlebigcat.com and www.spiritessence.com
Former Editor-in-Chief of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association Journal :

Vaccination puts a tremendous burden on the immune system to mount a protective response. If the response is to be adequate and provide protection against disease, there shouldn’t be any other immune-compromising stresses present. Clearly, an animal already fighting an infection, injury, or other illness is not going to have adequate resources to devote to the vaccine–and it could take away from its ability to fight what’s already there. Chemotherapy and steroids suppress the immune system and deplete its ability to produce a good vaccine response. Even something as seemingly benign as a bath or an elective surgery or dental procedure will reduce body temperature, a stress which can also inhibit the immune system. These are some of the reasons why the directions on every vial of vaccine say “for use in healthy animals only.”

From Michael Dym, VMD:

[Re should you vaccinate sick pets?]: That would depend upon definition of what “sick” is……..Dogs with chronic autoimmune diseases (most of chronic diseases seen in today’s pets) would go under that definition of ill health to me………Most vets ROUTINELY give shots to epileptic pets, dogs with prior histories of mast cell tumors, cats with autoimmune based diabetes, IBD patients, asthmatic animals, severe skin allergic pets, etc……….They are not healthy in my opinion and should not be vaccinated……….The vaccine companies have themselves legally protected by placing inserts with all vaccines saying “for use in healthy animals only” leaving that legal definition up to often ignorant vets on this topic……. .Follow the dollar signs!!!!…….THAT is the tragedy………

From Stephen R. Blake, DVM (San Diego) Author of The Pet Whisperer:

All vaccines come with a label warning from the manufacturer, advising the practitioner to not vaccinate animals who are not healthy. The sad part about this story is the veterinary community has set the bar so low for our animals, that as long as the animal is breathing, you can vaccinate them. I see records with pets who had ear infections, low grade fevers, eye and ear discharges, ear infections, allergic dermatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, abscessed teeth, diarrhea, conjunctivitis, auto immune disease, chronic arthritis, lameness, abscesses, Etc ., when they came to the veterinarian to evaluate their health issues and they were vaccinated in spite of having one or more of these issues. Not only are they vaccinated but for up to 10 different diseases simultaneously.

The clients are not being informed about the potential danger to their pets and are also being told their pets need these vaccinations, when there is no science to support such recommendations. This is not good medical practice and endangers the health of our animal patients…. Supply and demand are the driving forces in any economy for the success or failure of any product. As the public becomes more educated as to the truth about vaccinations, this practice will go the way of the dinosaur.

From Patricia Monahan Jordan, DVM, CVA, CTCVH & Herbology,
co-author of an upcoming book on the dangers of vaccination Mark of the Beast:

An Australian study found most of the animals undergoing vaccination were not healthy and should not have been receiving vaccines; it is criminal in my book. … So many of our animals are now sick and diseased with autoimmune disease or cancer and yet again get the big jab under the guise that “he is due for rabies.” …. so many stressed animals, malnourished animals, animals with any health issues should not be just jabbed…….especially with rabies, due to what this vaccination while stressed or immune-compromised means to endangering both the animal and especially the public’s health and exposure risk.
I am sitting on pulled research, each and every one of these cases should be addressed in a court of law and culpable responsibility assigned on the basis of the research already available that these medical disasters are predictable effects of the vaccines….
So what should you do if your dog is unhealthy but “due for shots”? Before you make that appointment, read my article Vaccinating Dogs: 10 Steps to Eliminating Unnecessary Shots Your pet may not even need the recommended shots. (For cat shot info, please visit LittleBigCat and Cat Shots.com.) Also read Titer Test: Don’t Vaccinate Your Dog Unnecessarily. And if your dog needs vaccination for licensing, ask your vet to apply for a temporary or permanent exemption to the rabies shot.
Unless you know that your dog is 100% well and free of even allergies or dental disease, do NOT go to a shot clinic or give a shot yourself. An Australian study, reported in ”Prevalence of intercurrent disease in dogs and cats presented for vaccination at a veterinary practice,” found: ”Fifty-two percent of animals were found to suffer from intercurrent disease and 3% had severe debilitating disease. A thorough clinical examination conducted at the time of routine vaccination appears to be an important element in maintaining companion animal health and welfare.” Failure to determine health, and to put off vaccinating a comprised dog, may well endanger the dog ‘s health or cause the vaccination to fail.
Forearmed with knowledge about vaccine duration of immunity, speak to your vet about postponing shots until your dog is well. You might even print this article for your vet if you find resistance. If you still find resistance, find another vet.
I hope you’ll bookmark this article and share it with friends. Don’t let them make a mistake they may never be able to undo.

runarabbit
runarabbit

http://www.dream-a-dream.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:06 pm

This is all exactly what I have heard and read myself and I totally agree!!! I would never give a pup a shot period if it didn't look or act like it was in perfect health. I also would never let a vet give one of my dogs one either!!

So why would a vet do this then? The more I am looking into the death of this pup, the more I am seeing that this may be the vets fault here! They gave a pup that wasn't feeling 100% a puppy shot & rabies shot.....within 2 days the pup went down hill to failure & ICU to needing put to sleep on the 3rd day!! So........now how does one go about proving this and how to handle this! Because of a vets mistake, we have to replace a baby that was only 4mths old!! The regular vet says he never did blood work on the pup but thought that maybe he should! I am taking everything to my vet for his opinion, which I trust! Then I am considering sending this into the board to see what they have to say about it! This is so horribly sad! pale
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 am

I still have one of my 15 week old puppies that has had no vaccinations at all. This is the one that had pneumonia. She still has a wheeze. We're trying to determine now if it's a structural defect, and if so, we can vaccinate her. Her bloodwork came back clear, but the wheeze still isn't gone-we're trying prednisone now and if that doesn't work, once it's clear of her system, then we'll give her her first vaccination. But we've gone to extraordinary lengths not to stress her immune system while she's been sick.

Not only that, but I'm a big proponent of not giving a rabies shot until the puppy is more mature-I give them at 6 months. I think that one is so hard on their little systems. I'm so sorry, Karen-what a shame to lose a puppy for that kind of thing.

Proud Lake Dachshunds

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelboys3 Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:08 pm

My vet wont give a shot to a puppy who isnt feeling 100%. I was going to take 2 of my new babies in for their rabies shots since they are old enough, but he wanted to wait another month or so just because one of them is a bit small. He said "I know other breeds are smaller than this, like chi's, but dachsies tend to have more reactions to rabies, so I'd rather wait until she is a bit older and bigger." Fine by me!
Angelboys3
Angelboys3

http://www.3rdachshunds.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jennyspups Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:32 pm

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/08/06/treating-adverse-vaccine-reactions-by-jean-dodds-dvm/

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/fdasuspect.html

How/Where to report a possible reaction to a Vaccine:

Adverse reactions to vaccines for animals should be reported to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Inspection Service, Center for Veterinary Biologics -- (800) 752-6255. This is a link to their Home Page on reporting ADEs to biologic products, including vaccines -- http://www.aphis.usda.gov/404.shtml
jennyspups
jennyspups

http://www.jennyspups.net

Back to top Go down

Post  jennyspups Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:36 pm

http://leerburg.com/vaccinosis.htm

For more information about reporting a possible vaccination reaction...
jennyspups
jennyspups

http://www.jennyspups.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Thank you Jenny for that informative info!!! I will be looking into it!!! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum