Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To supplement or not to supplement?

2 posters

Go down

To supplement or not to supplement? Empty To supplement or not to supplement?

Post  Angelboys3 Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:34 am

Ok I am wondering how you all decide whether or not you should supplement a puppy. Ireland's little boy had a very rough delivery but has seemed to do fine. He crawls well, makes all the sweet puppy squeaking noises, and seems to nurse fine. The only thing that concerns me is that he is gaining weight as quickly as his sisters have. He gains a little every day and has gained about 2 1/2 oz in his first week and a half. The girls on the other hand have gained roughly twice that.

Birth weights
Female 1 - 7.2oz
Female 2 - 8oz
Male - 7.1oz
Female 3 - 6.5oz

Weight as of last night
Female 1 - 12.3oz
Female 2 - 13 oz
Male - 9.6oz
Female 3 - 11.3oz

What would you all do? Go ahead and start supplementing, or just try keep monitoring his weight and put him on to nurse as often as possible?
*Note* He doesn't act like he's hungry or in distress at all
Angelboys3
Angelboys3

http://www.3rdachshunds.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

To supplement or not to supplement? Empty Re: To supplement or not to supplement?

Post  Admin Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:46 am

I would maybe let him nurse without the others a couple times a day....making sure he is getting the fullest of teets......the others could be pushing the little guy out of the way of all the full ones and he is getting enough to survive on. Try that for a couple days to see if there is any improvement. If he isn't showing any signs of regression, then I would try not to supplement. Maybe give him a small dose of Karo everyday and or ben a bac or puppy supplement. But I would only do that if he is stressing. If he is fine, just give him some extra time with mama alone!!!
I am a firm believer that the less you mess with nature and natural instinct, the better off the babies are with mama!! If one is in trouble tho I will jump right in and help. I don't lose very many puppies. I have only lost a total of 5 pups other than a litter loss that was the vet's fault. In the 6 yrs I have been breeding. I just try not to intervene if I can help it. I know it is tough raising pups....but sometimes I think the more we interfere, the more stress we put on the mama and the babies. Again......JMHO!

Good luck with that little boy Ang......I know this was a special litter for you and for me......hehe!!! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

To supplement or not to supplement? Empty Re: To supplement or not to supplement?

Post  Angelboys3 Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Ok thanks Karen. I actually started doing that yesterday Smile His sisters are just lil piglets!!
Angelboys3
Angelboys3

http://www.3rdachshunds.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum