Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PDA

Go down

PDA Empty PDA

Post  runarabbit Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:58 am

I have not done much research on PDA, but since one of my puppies has been diagnosis'd with it, it has become my new research project. At this time, sadly it appears we will be pulling this line of dogs from my program. It's sad for us because this is one of my oldest lines and I haven't had any issues up until now. If I weigh how many puppies are fine compared to how many diagnosis'd (just this one), it would appear that it doesn't happen often, but even with only one, it breaks my heart that my customer is going through this. All I can think about is that i don't want even one puppy to go through a heart defect, so our decision to pull them is more for peace of mind. I tried to explain to our customers that if there was a test for PDA we would be doing it, but it's hard for them to understand that this was not something we could have prevented. It's only something we can prevent in the future with this one line. I'm just not so sure they understand Sad Anyhow, just wanted to share some info in case anyone else ever has to go through this and I wish you all the luck if you ever do. Nothing like sharing the good and the bad. I just hate the bad! I don't think individuals understand breeding is not easy.

Generally, there are no serious symptoms of PDA unless congestive heart failure has caused fluid buildup in the lungs. The condition is typically identified in puppies during a routine veterinary visit for vaccinations. Continual blood flow through the PDA into the lungs produces a continuous (machinery) heart murmur.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/patent-ductus-arteriosus-in-dogs/page1.aspx

There is no way to prevent PDA but dogs diagnosed should not be bred, even if the defect has been corrected.

PDA is common in the miniature poodle, collie, Maltese, Shetland sheepdog, German shepherd dog, cocker spaniel, Pomeranian, and Labrador retriever. Female dogs are predisposed.
runarabbit
runarabbit

http://www.dream-a-dream.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum