Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flea & Tick Season!

4 posters

Go down

Flea & Tick Season! Empty Flea & Tick Season!

Post  Admin Thu May 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Different things work better in different states because of the different types....with that being said.....use caution and always check with your vet for the best protection in YOUR state.
I have talked with my vet and he recommends Advantix Multi......it covers everything including heartworm prevention in this area! However......I did discover that Advantix II also covers mosquitos.......so what am I missing here? Are these not the same products more or less......doesn't mosquitos cause heartworms?? I am thinking one is prescription only and the other can be bought over the counter. Since stores are not permitted to sell the name brand Heartwormers in them......are they just getting around it with the 2 different products?? I will be seeing my vet on Sunday.....they are coming to visit their puppy here at my home......I am gonna ask him about this......LOL!!!
I have also been getting into some discussions on some other forums about all natural products and have found that the Diatomaceous Earth Powder or Organic D-Earth is suppose to be safe for tons of things, spread it through your kennels & bedding, can put it on your dog and can even sprinkle it on their food......suppose to work for fleas, ticks, parasites, lice, ants & bugs of all sorts. I bought some of this stuff and just started using it......you do need to use caution when using it....it is powder form and you need to make sure they don't "inhale" to much of it. I spread it when they are not in the fenced area.....I have put it all along the outside line of my fences and sprinkled it throughout the fencing areas. Revival does sell it.....I am going to look at our Local feed store to see if they sell it any cheaper.
I found my first tick the other day and flipped out......so everyone got dosed with Advantix II but I can't afford $160 per mth for all my dogs.....I also hate using the chemicals on them!
Does anyone want to share what they have found that works in their area?? Pro's & Con's!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Flea & Tick Season! Empty Re: Flea & Tick Season!

Post  littletinydachz Thu May 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks for the reminder! I'm over due with my frontline plus applications!(Luckily we don't have too much of a flea issue here)..I better hurry up and do it before I catch a flea!I will NOT be happy!

Frontline plus works wonders here with no fleas or ticks on anyone...Even our occasional rescues get frontline(after a dawn bath)to knock anything out in it's tracks!

I have been wanting to try D-earth,but haven't really been told if is REALLY works well or not..lol..

My oldest doxie is 9.5 and allergic to Frontline plus,so I just treat her "crate buddy"but she's starting to get grouchy and not wanting to share a crate..I have been wanting to try advantix on here,but afraid she'll be allergic too.. affraid
littletinydachz
littletinydachz

http://little-tiny-dachshund.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JamiLynnS Fri May 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Advantix is what I use, it works great! Frontline Plus doesn't work on my dogs. Neutral
JamiLynnS
JamiLynnS

http://www.imperialdachshunds.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Proud Lake Dachshunds Sun May 15, 2011 2:29 pm

I haven't seen any fleas or ticks yet this year (except at the field trial I went to), so I haven't applied anything to mine yet either. They're on year round heartworm meds anyway, but I was waiting to see on the fleas and I haven't seen a one yet. I'm debating getting some diatomaceous earth instead this year. I did that in WA and hated the dust coming up everywhere, but I think it would be more financially efficient and healthier for them all around. Just remember, you have to re-dust every time you get a good rain.

Proud Lake Dachshunds

http://www.proudlakedachshunds.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  littletinydachz Sun May 15, 2011 5:00 pm

That's a good point,to re-dust after rain...I think I may hold off my application for a while,I already have them stretched out to every 3-4 months..lol..Chemicals are awful,but must haves with certain issues and areas..
I want to try the D.E. may work good here..
littletinydachz
littletinydachz

http://little-tiny-dachshund.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down