Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeders and Rescues

+2
JamiLynnS
runarabbit
6 posters

Go down

Breeders and Rescues Empty Breeders and Rescues

Post  runarabbit Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:47 am

This may sound a bit harsh, but it's a spin-off from another forum topic. Just seeking a little insight and maybe because rescues are close to my hurt I may have emotions tagged to my post. But, it's OK if you SET ME Straight Smile...

This is an AWESOME topic and has been a great insight to how some view things! For me it helps show who I want to recommend as quality breeders (Meaning my term of Quality). I have totally re-vamped my breeding program, and our recommendation list now includes breeders that are actively giving back to the community in some form or fashion, and are working to better their lines. If you don't take in rescues, you should be actively donating to a group, otherwise, your just like HSUS...talking a bunch of hype, but not backing it up. If you say you support rescues and sell puppies but never contribute by opening up your home or donating to a group, how are you any better than HSUS??? Just Curious?

I think some individuals support the idea of rescue, but the don't actually support the cause... there is a difference.

Last edited by runarabbit on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
runarabbit
runarabbit

http://www.dream-a-dream.com

Back to top Go down

Breeders and Rescues Empty Re: Breeders and Rescues

Post  JamiLynnS Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:21 am

I feel the same way.
I volunteered at a local SPCA and did so for some time. I had to stop unfortunatley but I plan to start rescuing as soon as I'm able.
JamiLynnS
JamiLynnS

http://www.imperialdachshunds.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  D&A Mini Doxies Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 am

I totally agree. We rescues an older beagle mix a couple Mother's Days back that practically looked like a walking skeleton. We ended up keeping her, but she died a year later because she had kidney failure. However, in that one extra year that she lived you could just tell she was the happiest she had ever been in her life, and from that point on I try to do all I can to help other animals. It has been mostly smaller animals since...like I found a domestic rabbit on my paper route once and I picked it up and put flyers up and reunited it with its owner in 2 days time, and we rescued a baby robbin who's mother was killed on the road, and a baby squirrel who's mother was also killed. However, most of our escues do stay at my parents house because we don't like the idea of possibly contaminating the huse with diseases that could affect puppies, the dogs, or future puppies. Parvo was extremely bad this year. So now we take money out of each puppy sale and a percentage out of the dog accessories I make and donate it to a local dachshund rescue. This will be our first year doing this, and we are sending them our first lump sum (I guess you could say) check on christmas Smile

D&A Mini Doxies

http://daminidachshunds.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  runarabbit Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 am

I Love it! Thank you guys for sharing!!! I just love to hear all the ways everyone finds to help contribute! It's AWESOME to see everyone do what they can to make a difference.
runarabbit
runarabbit

http://www.dream-a-dream.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelboys3 Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 pm

We live out in the country and tend to get dumped dogs from time to time. One in particular that I wil always remember was simply called weenie, lol. He was obviously a purebred smooth black and tan dachshund, quite nice actually. We took him in, socialized him (he was terrified of everything), posted flyers and on the internet in case someone was missing him. No one ever claimed him and we had him for about 6 months. In that time, we got him UTD on shots, dewormed, HW tested (neg!) and on prev, then neutered. He also turned out to be completely potty trained and didn't even mark in the house, despite being around 2 yrs old before his neuter. When we finally decided he was ready for a new home, it about killed us, but he ended up with a wonderful family where he is very much loved!

We also donate dog food to the local all breed rescue (extra when the school does their dog food drive Very Happy )
Our boys especially love to take in the food. They tell me it makes them feel good and that it's important to help the dogs who don't have families yet I love you
Angelboys3
Angelboys3

http://www.3rdachshunds.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:05 pm

As some of you know....I do rescues occassionally and once again got a call last night! So Sat I will be bringing home an Aussie around a yr old to rehome after he is evaluated & vetted! I said I wouldn't take in any more till Spring but I just can't say NO..... lol! lol! !!! I already may have a home for him!! My landlords son that lives next door was over last night and he is so in love with my Aussie that he keeps saying he would take her home with him in a heartbeat. So I am praying this boy works out and can go live right next door!!! Very Happy He is a Lethal White, a merle to merle breeding or a dapple to dapple as we know it. He is not blind or deaf thank goodness, he has color around both ears & eyes so the merle didn't effect him! His owners home burnt to the ground and the neighbor has him near Columbus and they can't keep him.......so I will be down there tomorrow and probably bringing him home with me!!! cheers
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robin Brueggeman Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Awwww Karen you no i love your rescues Very Happy Very Happy Did you bring the Aussie home with you Very Happy Very Happy
Robin Brueggeman
Robin Brueggeman
Robin Brueggeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:24 pm

No I wasn't able to go down there and another friend took in the Aussie for me that was much closer! I couldn't drive again....my darn wrist!!! Sad
But I do and will take in a rescue if it is needed!! Very Happy

2 1/2 hrs one way was going to be a bit much for me this weekend!! I hate my wrist!! Evil or Very Mad
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:56 pm

I have one rescue still living. A lot of rescue orgs want let us foster or adopt because they think we have too many dogs. (was turned down by one when we only had 4 dogs). So, we donate money, help transport, and actually, a couple of weeks ago we did a home visit for them. I think you can do both, but certainly do not fault anyone who cannot. Also, on the topic of taking one back when the owner cannot keep them anymore...

I was picking up my Sulu last year at Grendox. There were a couple of five year old dogs there that she had taken back because the owner had fallen ill. I was like wow, taking them back after 5 years....that was amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down