Doxaholics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stressed Puppies and New Homes

3 posters

Go down

Stressed Puppies and New Homes Empty Stressed Puppies and New Homes

Post  Angelboys3 Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:54 pm

I really wasn't sure where to put this, so if it needs to be moved, please feel free to do so.

This question comes from some issues I see going on on the other forum and FB, regarding stress and puppies. I know people all raise dogs differently so I hope no one thinks this is directed at them Very Happy When a puppy is transitioning from the breeder's home to its new home, it is going to be stressful, no matter what. I do think giving/sending the metronidazole is very helpful and is something I do myself. But do you find that a puppy tends to be less stressed in his/her new environment if raised inside with a person or family to begin with, and therefore be less prone to stress-related illnesses? I realize that even if you have a kennel where the babies are out in a kennel building or whatever you want to call it, that you likely spend time with them daily. But does that really prepare them for life in a home? I personally wouldn't think that a puppy would know what to think if it left the breeder's house with only the knowledge of a small room and outside run (yes it may be heated/cooled, clean, fluffy beds on the floor) with only daily visits from the breeder. Then it gets to a new home, and now it has to encounter sounds of the TV, people walking around it, a couch to cuddle on, a vaccuum cleaner and so on. So what is your opinion on this, if you could get my question through all the rambling, lol? Does a puppy tend to do better if raised indoors with all of this going on prior to moving to a new home? Or is it just dependant upon each individual puppy, and where it's raised is of no consequence?
Angelboys3
Angelboys3

http://www.3rdachshunds.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Stressed Puppies and New Homes Empty Re: Stressed Puppies and New Homes

Post  Admin Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:41 pm

That is an excellent question Angie!
As most of you know...all my dogs are indoors and pups are raised indoors in my home with us. I think this makes the transition not necassarily better but different yes! I personally can tell when a pup is "kennel" raised or "inhome" raised!! I am not trying to offend or make anyone feel bad here.....just my experience is all with both kinds of pups coming into "MY" home. Kennel raised pups have a much harder time learning what I call "house manners".....this means......distinguishing between furniture and items. Wires are chewed more often, jumping on furniture and I don't just mean coaches.....chairs for the table and then on the table. Biting and chewing on everything they can. The vaccume scares them so that they bark or whine when it runs and run and hide from it, the hair dryer and many other things. House raised pups grow up from day one hearing and then seeing everything that goes on around them.....then as they get older they get to interact with everyone and everything on a constant basis and not just a few set hours aside for them. Again...this is just my personal experience and opinion! I love home raised puppies over kennel raised puppies anyday!! House training can also be much much harder with kennel raised pups. I think my customers love the fact that all my pups & dogs are raised inside my home and live with us on a day to day basis. Again this is not right or wrong. I will admit that it can be very difficult cleaning and keeping your house nice and smell free of urine & puppy poo......but it is worth it in the long run for me! Very Happy Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jennyspups Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Although I raise my pups in our home, I can see the benefits of having a kennel building.... and I don't think that it would be impossible to have well adjusted puppies raised in a kennel. I just think it would take a LOT of work specifically designed to mimic the "home" environment to give the puppies as many experiences. I can't say for sure because I have never done it that way, though.

Another side "stress" topic.... Besides raising my pups around normal household noises, another thing that I do with my own pups is a process of early neurological stimulation. It helps them have better capacity for dealing with stressful situations later in life. Smile

http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/articles/early_neurological_stimulation_en.php
jennyspups
jennyspups

http://www.jennyspups.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Wow Jenny I didn't even realize this but I have always done this with my pups. When I trim nails every week from week 1 I massage their toes & feet. I always hold my puppies on their back in my arm and snuggle them so they never have issues being on their backs.....the one thing my vet LOVES about my puppies!!! I guess I was stimulating them neurologically and didn't even know it!!! Very Happy
That is a great article!

Angie I do give them all Zole before leaving my home and going into their new homes. I haven't had any issues with puppies having problems that I know of. No one has reported it to me other than their vets are happy that I am making sure that their tummies aren't stressing too bad when making the transition. I give them blankets with our home scent on it so that also helps them. I have them used to crates also when they leave here and they normally willingly go into them. They know that is their "den" for sleeping and not peeing & pooping in!

A pic of my set up for puppies from 3 1/2-4 wks on! This is always in a fairly busy part of our home....normally the living room but now I have my own living room for the dogs & my "office" so it will be set up in here in a corner of the room!!! Constant attention during the day and they learn bed time at night!

Stressed Puppies and New Homes 93710
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doxaholics.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down